|This lemon curd has vanilla beans and paired with gluten free banana bread.|
adapted from the art of preserving
1/2 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed, 2 to 3 lemons
zest of 2 to 3 lemons
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, cut into small cubes
1/2 tsp flakey salt, Salt Farm #04 Cyprus
1 vanilla bean, opened and scraped (optional)
- In a small heavy pan add the lemon juice, sugar and eggs. Mix to combine, using a whisk.
- Turn stove on to medium heat. Keep stirring and add 2 pieces of butter at a time.
- Once the butter is melted add 2 more butter pieces while stirring. Watch this step very carefully. It can curdle very quickly.
- Repeat till all the butter is in the pan and the liquid has thicken. It should cover the back of a wooden spoon.
- Stain the lemon curd through a sieve.
- In the lemon curd add the salt, and vanilla.
- Add them to little pots to give away or eat right then and there!